Each week, I am amazed at how many offices I visit that not only are not using the Collections Manager Report, but don’t even know what it is. When I am working with an office on its collection routine, I always ask, “What are you currently using for your collection calls?” The typical answers are, “the Aging Report” or “the billing statements”. Crazy I say!
Why don’t I like using the Aging Report for making collection calls?
· As soon as you print it, it is outdated. What do I mean? Every day another account balance goes over 30 or over 90 and unless you reprint this report everyday, you will be missing some accounts. Also, as soon as you post the daily checks, you have to get a pen and scratch someone off the list or change the balance if they make a payment.
· It contains patient PHI. Could you imagine if a patient saw that report sitting on your desk, complete with personal information, full name, phone numbers, and balances? I would be mortified if I was a patient on that list and someone saw it. Especially if you had some handwritten message on there like, “filed bankruptcy” or “send attorney letter”.
· This report uses WAY too much paper. Since I teach offices how to go paperless, this one is big for me.
· Using this report is too time-consuming!
What is my solution to all these problems? The Collections Manager Report.
· This report never gets outdated . . . just refresh it! Since it is computer-generated, you can refresh it at any time (just click on File > Refresh) and it will reload the report using your existing parameters. I love this! Let’s say you get back from lunch, stop and get the mail, and post a bunch of checks, then all you have to do is refresh the report and you have a brand new report. Voila!
· It is absolutely HIPAA compliant. Since this report is computer-generated, you can minimize it into your system tray to hide it from view of other patients if you have a computer screen that can be easily seen.
· The Collections Manager Report uses ZERO paper. We all want to save trees and office overhead, right?
· The best part . . . IT’S INTERACTIVE! What do I mean by interactive? At the top of the Collections Manager Report, there are several icons that will be helpful for you when making collection calls.
o Guarantor Notes – make financial notes about the account
o Office Journal – document your phone conversations with the patient or guarantor
o Quick Letters – Send out customized collection letters
o More Information – see information about the family, phone numbers, appointments, etc.
o Ledger – check where the balance is coming from or look at outstanding claims
How do you get to this report? Go to the Office Manager > find the icon with the hand holding the money > this will open another window where you can set your parameters for your report.
Dayna loves her work. She has over 25 years of experience in the dental industry, and she’s passionate about building efficient, consistent, and secure practice management systems. Dayna knows that your entire day revolves around your practice management software—the better you learn to use it, the more productive and stress-free your office will be. In 2016, Dayna founded Novonee ™, The Premier Dentrix Community, to help cultivate Dentrix super-users all over the country. Learn more from Dayna at www.novonee.com and contact Dayna at firstname.lastname@example.org.