Monday, September 10, 2012

Expand your Digital Future

I was honored to speak at the AADOM (American Association of Dental Office Managers) annual meeting in Scottsdale over the weekend. For those of you who could not attend, I encourage you to make the trip to next year’s meeting in Orlando, Fla. For more information on AADOM, click here.
This year, my topic was Expand your Digital Future with Dentrix eServices.” In case you missed it, here is a recap.
Today’s dental practices are looking for ways to replace their paper records and forms with digital records and electronic communications, streamline their workflow, reduce waste and clutter, increase productivity and improve profitability. How can Dentrix eServices help you with this?
Ø  Create more hours in your week by eliminating the busywork
o   Save yourself countless hours by allowing Dentrix to print, stuff, stamp, and mail your patient billing statements. By using Quickbill, you stay in control of who gets a statement while avoiding the busywork.  Click here for more information on Quickbill.
o   When you receive electronic address corrections, the Dentrix software will automatically merge this new information with your patient’s Family File, saving you time.
o   Eliminate your recare calendar and let Dentrix automatically generate your patient postcard reminders, e-mail confirmations, and text message alerts. Now you don’t have to spend time creating the merge files, printing the postcards, and sending them out.  Check out eCentral Communication Manager by clicking here to be directed to the website.
o   Stop spending time sitting on hold, getting lost in the insurance phone tree or navigating around a separate website to check on patient eligibility or claim status.  By using the Insurance Manager feature with eCentral you won’t have to.  If you want more information click here.

Ø  Increase profitability with smarter workflow and reducing paper inventory
o   With electronic communications and billing statements, you don’t have to stock expensive paper forms, envelopes, and postcards. The office will appear less cluttered (and you could probably use the added storage space).
o   Cut down on the amount of postage you are using. Postage is included in the price of Quickbill and eCentral.
o   Reduce printing costs when using electronic forms because you can just edit them within your Dentrix software for FREE!
o   Save on the cost of paper charts and storage space with a digital patient record.
Ø  Create a better work environment for you and your team
o   If you had a few hours added back into your weekly routine, what would you want to do with this new-found time?
§  Develop new marketing ideas to attract new patients?
§  Start a social media campaign for your office?
§  Take on more responsibility, like the accounts payable or payroll?
§  Do some public speaking in your community on the importance of oral health?
§  Or just cut back your hours?
o   Streamline the tasks for you and your team.
With Dentrix eServices, the possibilities are endless. Use them to create a practice that will make your patients’ lives easier … and make it easier for them to brag about you to their friends. Technology, when used efficiently, can improve life at your practice in so many ways.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Dayna Johnson, “Dentrix Office Manager”

    Before I follow the advice in your ad and switch my practice from paper dental records to Dentrix, you’ve promised a couple of benefits that I’d like to verify. First of all, I’m hoping you can share links to the research supporting your claim that EDRs offer better security for dental patients than paper dental records. Since so many other dental practice consultants often use the same selling point, I’m not accusing you of hiding your product’s danger to make a sale. It’s just that nobody else seems able (or willing) to provide proof. I’m hoping you can.

    Secondly, you write that Dentrix saves dentists lots more money than paper dental records. Since it would be unethical, dishonest and arguably unlawful for Dentrix to advertise savings without evidence to support such a claim, would you mind sharing the research on which Dentrix bases its promise of return on investment as well? Thanks.

    D. Kellus Pruitt DDS
    Cc: spamgroup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Pruitt,
      If my blog post came across as “sales pitchy” I apologize, I was merely trying to give my readers a summary of my 45 minute presentation from last weekend’s AADOM meeting. It was not my intention.
      To reply to your concerns, first I never said in my blog post or anywhere in my information that EDR’s are more secure than paper. The fact is, and I am sure you would agree, that most offices today are using computers in their dental practices. Any office that is using a computer in their practice to create, store or transmit patient data is subject to the HIPAA Security Rule (http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/securityrule/security101.pdf). With this in mind, it is my job to point my clients to resources that help them become compliant which includes, encrypted backup systems and PCI compliant credit card processing. Since I am extremely loyal to Henry Schein I will always recommend their products.
      Secondly, I believe the cost savings is not substantial when transitioning from paper records to electronic records since the paper process is substituted with an electronic service that usually has a monthly fee attached to it. In the dental practice I work in our monthly cost savings on inventory of paper was about $60 a month. There is a company called ECO Dentistry that did a study with Natural Logic Sustainability Consulting which calculated the annual savings for a solo practice averaging 16.5 patients a day at 20 days a month to be $8769. Now you would need to add in the annual cost of adding the eServices to get a net savings.
      My clients are already Dentrix users; I do not sell products, computers or other hardware. My job is to evaluate the office and help guide and educate them to reach their goal. I am not going to speak for Dentrix, but I do not talk offices into going paperless, they have already made the decision and I come in to give them a structure and guideline.
      On a final note, I am well aware that you often only copy snippets of responses to a separate email group. If you are going to share my responses with others, I would appreciate the professional courtesy of sending my entire response instead of only a portion of it.
      Thank you.
      Dayna Johnson

      Delete
  2. Thanks for replying, Dayna Johnson, “Dentrix Office Manager.”

    From what I can tell, very few of your colleagues in the dental software industry show such courtesy to customers who ask serious questions about EDRs. Most of them react to this dentist’s concerns about cost and safety just like Jill Nesbitt, “Dental Practice Coach” for Dentrix, did last week: They simply hide consumers’ concerns. In my community, that is called an unethical business practice. Maybe you are different than the others, even if you seem indignant – as if responding to a customer is beneath you.

    Before I share your unedited reply per your request, would it be accurate to say you concede that EDRs are more dangerous for dental patients than paper dental records? I think that is what you meant, but it is hard to tell.

    Secondly, you mentioned an “ECO Dentistry / Natural Logic Sustainability Consulting” study which supports Dentrix’s claim that EDRs are cheaper than paper dental records. I follow the dental HIT news very closely, and this is the first time I've heard about the ECO Dentistry research. I cannot seem to locate it from the information you provided. Do you know the title? Or better yet, a link?

    In the past, I’ve been told countless rumors of studies proving ROI with spectacular savings over paper dental records. But so far, they are nothing more than spectacular myths in an Evidence-Based community.

    Thanks for your interest in discussing this dentist's concerns. Transparency like yours is very rare in the EDR industry.

    D. Kellus Pruitt DDS
    Cc: spamgroup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Pruitt,

      It would not be accurate for you to say that I concede that EDRs are more dangerous than paper charts because I do not have an opinion one way or the other. Before I am ever hired by the practice, the doctor has made the decision to go paperless and I have no influence on that decision. Suggesting or “selling” EDRs over paper (or vice versa) is not part of what I do as a consultant. It never has been. It never will be.

      My only opinion when I come into an office is that every office needs to be compliant with the HIPAA Security Rule. Unless the office is using a pegboard system for billing and handwriting everything, they are subject to the HIPAA Security Rule. Period.

      The full study I mentioned from ECO Dentistry can be found at http://www.ecodentistry.org/?gogreensavegreen

      Thank you,
      Dayna Johnson

      Delete
  3. I have to say, Dayna, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a more frustrating discussion with a dental practice consultant. After all this conversation, it doesn’t appear that I’m any closer to answers than when I first asked you to compare the cost and danger of EDRs to paper dental records.

    Even though I find it odd and even frightening that you say you have no opinion about the safety of the software you promote to dentists, it seems obvious that if you believed EDRs are safer than paper dental records, you would have immediately said so. Evasion betrayed your opinion.

    As for the mysterious ECO Dentistry study which you say proves that Dentrix customers can expect a return on investment, I had no luck with the link you provided. If you will simply reveal the study’s title and the authors’ names, I should be able to find it in an internet search. Who knows? It might even show up in PubMed.

    In addition, could you provide the name of a Dentrix representative who is capable of answering customers’ questions that you can’t? Maybe he or she knows of even more studies proving ROI.

    Thanks,
    D. Kellus Pruitt DDS
    Cc: spamgroup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Pruitt,

      I apologize that you are not getting the answers that you are looking for, however please do not continue to put words into my mouth that do not exist. Unless you are willing to entertain opinions other than your own please do not contact me again.

      As far as the link I gave you for the study, I double checked it and it links you right to the page where in the middle of the page it states “download full study”.

      Thank you,
      Dayna Johnson


      Delete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks. emergency dentist orlando

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a Office Manager with over 18 years experience in the field. We are in the process of going paperless.

    The ROI is just not about how much you save in paper or the costs for electronic services. The ROI really comes in to play when you consider the benefits of being able to converse with a patient immediately when they call, instead of calling them back or putting them on hold, to find their chart. Or the benefit of not calling an all office manhunt search for a missing chart when the patient is walking through the door. Or being able to instantly find out what the doctor has treatment planned for the patient and being prepared to discuss the copay when they walk up to the treatment counter. The examples are endless. The time saved and professionalism shown leads to an impressed patient, more referrals and more than enough in revenue to offset paper and electronic services expense.

    Now on to HIPPA. It becomes more important to make sure your server and workstations are password protected and backups encrypted. But if you are doing ANY type of digital x-rays, computer scheduling, computer ledgers, etc.... would it not be just as important to do that anyway?????

    Perhaps I am missing the point but thank you for allowing me to share my two cents :)

    Now going paperless is big step, not easy and takes a lot of work to convert. Sometimes I think it is portrayed to be easier than it is. But I am looking forward to reaping the rewards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%. Thank you so much for a great, informative comment.
      Dayna Johnson

      Delete