Our boss, the dentist, must take a certain number of hours per year of continuing education in order to maintain his or her license. The dental hygienist is also required to keep his or her license current with continuing education every year … but what about the office manager, treatment coordinator, financial coordinator, or hygiene coordinator? We do not have these requirements to maintain our jobs in the dental practice, but we have one of the most important jobs in the office. What I find in many offices is a lack of training for the administrative team … so you need to take the bull by the horns and do it yourself. My goal today is to give you some resources that you can tap into so you can continue your education and be successful in the dental practice.
In no particular order, here are my top 5 ways you, as a member of the administrative team, can educate yourself in dentistry and Dentrix.
- The Dentrix Resource Center – Most of you using Dentrix in your office are paying for a Dentrix customer support plan, but the only thing you are using is phone support or updates. Tap into this amazing learning experience and elevate your knowledge about your practice management system. In the Resource Center, you have access to videos, an online knowledgebase, and tutorials. Even though I am an experienced trainer, I use the knowledgebase all the time for my client questions. From any Dentrix module, click on Help > Support Knowledgebase.
- AADOM – The American Association of Dental Office Managers (AADOM) is the premier group of which you need to be a part. It will revolutionize you as an administrator in your dental practice. CLICK HERE to find out more about this organization and its annual conference (hint: it is always somewhere warm and fun J ).
- Dentrix Seminars and Workshops – If you prefer classroom or lecture style learning, this is for you. I have been teaching the Dentrix Insight Seminars for about 4 years now and everyone always leaves with some great pearls of knowledge and tips they can implement in their office right away. The Workshops are usually a 2- or 3-day course with hands-on learning. CLICK HERE for more information.
- Read, Read, Read – I will never reprimand a front office team member for reading dental journals and articles while on the job. This is definitely some of the easiest and most inexpensive educational material you can get. Here are some of my favorites:
- Dentrix Magazine – It comes out quarterly and if you are on a customer support plan you should receive it automatically.
- Dental Practice Management – There is an online version and a print version. CLICKHERE to check out the online version.
- Insurance Solutions Newsletter – This is one of the few paid subscriptions that I would recommend. It is fabulous! CLICK HERE to be directed to their website where you can subscribe.
- Business of Dentistry Conference – This is your conference! It is packed full of some of the best practice management consultants, Dentrix trainers, and speakers in the dental industry. You will find courses on leadership, motivation, social media, HIPAA, Dentrix, and so much more at this conference. Also, it is such a fun time for your entire team because you can go out dancing, shopping, or cruise the strip in Vegas. CLICK HERE for more information.