Our dental world is slowly changing from a world of pens and paper to a world of clicking and typing. Until now, the only state to mandate Electronic Health Records (EHRs) is Minnesota. However, many states will be following in its footsteps in the very near future. Having a paperless chart is more than just typing in the clinical notes or painting pictures on the tooth chart. It is about being able to coordinate your patient care with other providers and sharing information within the medical and dental communities. Even though this accessibility of patient information is still evolving, we as dental providers can start using what we have available right now.
Dentrix has partnered with Allscripts® to bring you electronic prescriptions. Being able to partner with your patient’s pharmacist will give you the ability to know potentially dangerous drug-to-drug interactions, drug allergies, dosage errors, and other problems that can occur with written or phoned-in prescriptions. This is what EHR is all about. Providing better patient care is why we do what we do.
If you have read any of my other blogs about going paperless, you know how much I stress efficiency. With ePrescribe, there are many features to create more efficiency.
- Speed the medication process when you send and track electronic prescriptions with any participating pharmacy
- Provide a seamless patient experience when you store pharmacy favorites by practice or patient for automatic prescription fulfillment before the patient leaves your office
- Improve patient safety with automatic drug interaction checking, dosage checks, adverse reaction checks, and duplicate therapy checks
- Access any information reported through the Surescripts network by other providers
- Simplify prescription renewals by receiving and managing refill requests from pharmacies online, with accessible patient medication history
ePrescribe is available now in all but four states (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana). There is no download or hardware required. It is a subscription model that is a web-based solution for your practice to send prescriptions electronically to retail and mail order pharmacies directly from Dentrix. The only requirement within Dentrix is that you must enable secure passwords to use it and be using Dentrix G5 or later.