Do you wonder why if you run statements from one computer you don’t get the same result if you run them from another computer? Or why a patient chart looks one way on one workstation and completely different on another? This is because some settings are global and some settings are workstation specific. Today, I am going to break down for you what is workstation specific and teach you how to create some consistency in your office. This article assumes you have Dentrix G3 or higher installed.
- Practice Defaults – Office Manager > Maintenance > Practice Setup > Practice Defaults. Everything here is workstation specific, except the default Insurance Claim Provider. This is a global setting.
- Print Setup – Office Manager > File > Print Setup. You can select a different printer per workstation.
- Report Fonts – Office Manager > Maintenance > Practice Setup > Report Fonts. If you want a special font or want the reports bigger, this is how you can set it up your way.
- Preferences – Office Manager > Maintenance > Practice Setup > Preferences. Here is what is workstation specific:
- Show close messages
- Startup Options
- Additional Options
- Default Signature on File for New Subscribers
- Print Options
- Billing Statement Setup – Office Manager > Reports > Billing. What I would recommend here is once you have the setup and the check boxes the way you want them, make a screen shot (ALT-PRNT SCRN) of it and save it to a Word document so you can reference back to it if the setup gets lost or you want to setup a different workstation.
- Prescription Setup – Office Manager > Maintenance > Practice Setup > Prescription Setup. The prescriptions are global but the printer and print setup are workstation specific.
- Electronic Claims – Office Manager > Maintenance > Practice Setup > Electronic Claims Setup. You must set up each workstation individually.
- Electronic Billing Setup – Office Manager > Maintenance > Practice Setup > Electronic Billing Setup. You must setup each workstation individually.
- Procedure Buttons – Setup > Procedure Buttons. You can create a button set and save it. Then at each workstation you can select the button set from the drop down menu. FYI . . . always make sure you SAVE your buttons if you make any changes and do not have more than one workstation editing buttons at the same time.
- Colors – Setup > Chart Display Setup. You can create a custom color scheme and give it a name just like with the buttons. Then in each room, you can select the color scheme from the drop down menu. FYI . . . a lighter blue background (blue sky) usually works better because the contrast between the completed work and lighter blue background is more clear.
- Perio Setup – Perio Chart > Setup > Entry Settings Setup. This is where you can create a custom script. For more information on creating a custom script, CLICK HERE.
- Perio Setup – Perio Chart > Setup > Perio Display Setup. This is where you can set colors, red flag limit, etc. Just like the chart colors, you can save the theme with a name and then select it from the drop down menu from other workstations.
- Background Colors - Appointment Book > Setup > Practice Appointment Setup. Then you can change the open and closed colors.
- Views – Appointment Book > View > If you have never setup a custom view, click on New. If you want to change your view, click Edit. Each new view correlates to the function keys on your keyboard. My recommendation for the treatment room is to create a view that will assist with a HIPAA compliant schedule, then to match it up to the F1 key so if the view gets changed, you can easily hit the F1 key to bring it back.
- Flip Tabs – Appointment Book > Setup > Flip Tabs. Then you can create up to four quick tabs on the right side of your appointment book to jump you to a certain date.
- Hover Setup - (G4 PP7 and newer) Appointment Book > Setup > Practice Appointment Setup, then click on the Hover Detail Setup. You can slow the Hover down, edit what shows in the Hover or disable it completely.
- Checkout Options – Ledger > File > Fast Checkout Options. You can customize this for your workstation.
- View – Ledger > File > Ledger Colors Setup. You can create your own color scheme.
· Finance and Late Charges – Ledger > Month End > Apply Finance Charges or Apply Late Charges, then enter your settings.
In all of the Dentrix modules, you have the option to add or remove any of the icons from the toolbar so you can customize each toolbar. You can add spaces to spread them out or move them to a different location. If more than one person uses your workstation, however make sure you both agree on the customization. J
Anything that is not on this list is more than likely a global setting. My recommendation is to have someone in the office, either the doctor or office manager, who has rights to edit, add or change the global settings. If you are using passwords, you can password protect some of these global settings.
Dayna loves her work. She has over 25 years of experience in the dental industry, and she’s passionate about building efficient, consistent, and secure practice management systems. Dayna knows that your entire day revolves around your practice management software—the better you learn to use it, the more productive and stress-free your office will be. In 2016, Dayna founded Novonee ™, The Premier Dentrix Community, to help cultivate Dentrix super-users all over the country. Learn more from Dayna at www.novonee.com and contact Dayna at firstname.lastname@example.org.