Here are the top 10 topics you clicked on this year . . .
- Electronic signatures . . . a must have for going paperless Since I wrote the blog on March 23, I have been receiving a lot of questions about integrating electronic signature devices, how they work in Dentrix, and which one I recommend. The good news is that I can answer all these questions and I am excited that the shift toward going paperless is growing.
- Oops! What to do when the wrong tooth was posted Have you had a patient in your chair for his or her 6-month checkup and, while you are perio charting, you notice that the wrong tooth is missing. After further investigation, you realize that the patient was in for an extraction three months ago, but the wrong tooth was set complete. You don’t know what to do, but the tooth chart needs to be fixed.
- Someone deleted the entire Batch Processor . . . how do I find all those claims? Do you ever wonder if all your claims are being sent out? Has the batch been completely deleted and you are worried there were insurance claims on there? Do you want to know what reports to look at to manage your claims? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions . . . read on.
- How can you prepare for the ICD-10 deadline? The countdown to October 1, 2015 continues as we all wait to see if the implementation of ICD-10 really happens or not. Many of you have been using the ICD-9 code sets when billing medical insurance for procedures like TMJ, sleep apnea, and trauma. However, we are now seeing the use of diagnostic coding in the adoption of EHR and practices that are billing Medicaid. After October 1, we are going to see many more requirements for diagnostic coding. So how can you prepare?
- Best Practices for Your Team . . . weekly Last week, we focused on what was important or the “best practice” for your daily protocol. Today, we want to move to your weekly systems. I teach my offices about practicing on the business side of dentistry the same things you preach to your patients in the clinical side of dentistry . . . “prevention will help keep you out of emergency situations.” Living in a preventative rather than reactive frame of mind will reap tremendous benefits to your practice.
- Top 10 features in Dentrix you are not using In 2003, my dental practice converted from an archaic DOS-based dental software to the impressive and robust Dentrix practice management software. To say the least, I was completely overwhelmed. Two years later, in 2005, I still felt like I hadn’t even scratched the surface of my new powerful software’s potential so I applied to become a Certified Dentrix Trainer in order to learn everything there was to know about the Dentrix program. What better way to learn than to get a certificate?
- Dentrix G6 launch . . . . be amazed! I had the pleasure of talking with Brad Royer, the Dentrix product manager, about the release of Dentrix G6. The launch date is scheduled on April 30, 2015 during the California Dental Association meeting. Stop by the Dentrix booth during CDA to see all of the amazing features but you can watch our interview now to hear about the highlights.
- Thinking of implementing electronic forms? This is a must read Which one are you … “chartless” or “paperless?” It is interesting when I talk with dental practices how they use these two terms interchangeably. Most people don’t see a difference. But put yourself in the patient’s shoes and there is a huge difference. If your office sends the patient paper forms to fill out before their appointment, sends the patient a PDF attachment of your new patient forms, or if you send your patients to your website where they have to download a PDF form, your office is ”chartless” not “paperless."
- Stop giving the insurance companies so much power Will whoever gave the insurance companies the power to do whatever they want please stand? Oh yeah … we did. We have given and continue to give them power when we don’t have proper documentation to justify our treatment plan or confirmation showing that our claims have been received. If we don’t manage our systems properly, we have to do what they tell us to do because we can’t prove anything.
- Delta EPO's and Co-Pay plans, how to setup Lately I have been seeing a few new insurance plans creeping up in the market. In Colorado, I have seen these new “EPO” Delta Dental plans that have a patient co-pay instead of the traditional coverage %. Then, when I was in Washington recently, the office showed me a plan where the patient pays a total dollar amount on certain procedures. These plans sound similar, but the setup is slightly different.
I am looking forward to an amazing 2016. If you have a topic that you would like me to write about, email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dayna loves her work. She has over 25 years of experience in the dental industry, and she’s passionate about building efficient, consistent, and secure practice management systems. Dayna knows that your entire day revolves around your practice management software—the better you learn to use it, the more productive and stress-free your office will be. In 2016, Dayna founded Novonee ™, The Premier Dentrix Community, to help cultivate Dentrix super-users all over the country. Learn more from Dayna at www.novonee.com and contact Dayna at email@example.com.