I installed Dentrix G6.6 yesterday so I could play around with the new features and I am excited about all of them. However, there is one that I want to focus on today. A couple of weeks ago, I asked, “Why are you not Running Month End?” I am amazed at the number of offices that are not up to date on the month end process and have every excuse in the book for why they have not preformed this task. With Dentrix G6.6, there are no more excuses not to run the month end process. In fact, you can customize your month end process to fit the needs of your practice. Let me tell you what I mean.
First, there is no excuse that everyone must be closed out of Dentrix to run month end. In G6.6, that requirement has been removed so you can run the month end tasks anytime you want, even in the middle of the day.
Next, you can piece out your month end tasks and decide when to run them based on your practice. In the previous version of Month End, it would complete multiple tasks all in one fell swoop. These tasks included . . .
- Put ledger transactions into history
- Age your patients account balances
- Move the ending balance from the previous month into the beginning balance of the new month
- Lock up your clinical notes into history
- Reset your patient’s insurance benefits used back to zero
In the new version of the Month End Task Scheduler, you can choose these tasks separately or schedule them to run on a routine schedule without you asking. In the new Month End version, here is how you could manage these tasks separately . . .
- Close Transactions – This new feature in the Task Manager affects the numbers and reports and could be scheduled on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. You could also run it manually whenever you want. This task will move the ledger transactions into history, age your account balances and move the ending balance into the beginning balance of the new month. I would still recommend scheduling this on a monthly basis.
- Move Clinical Notes to History – You can now have full control of when you lock up your clinical notes instead of having it tied to the month end process. This is a great feature for your clinical team and will give you peace of mind that your clinical documentation cannot be deleted or altered. My recommendation would be to schedule this task on a daily or weekly basis.
- Reset Insurance Benefits – Now if you are not quite ready to close the transactions on your patient’s ledger but you want your treatment plan estimates to be more accurate, you can reset the insurance benefits on its own each month. Whoo Hoo!!! I would recommend scheduling this task on a monthly basis.
There are no more excuses with the Dentrix G6.6 update on managing your month end tasks and keeping your system running smoothly. You now have more freedom and flexibility.
Dayna loves her work. She has over 25 years of experience in the dental industry, and she’s passionate about building efficient, consistent, and secure practice management systems. Dayna knows that your entire day revolves around your practice management software—the better you learn to use it, the more productive and stress-free your office will be. In 2016, Dayna founded Novonee ™, The Premier Dentrix Community, to help cultivate Dentrix super-users all over the country. Learn more from Dayna at www.novonee.com and contact Dayna at firstname.lastname@example.org.