Don’t you just love this time of year . . . tax season! Patients are calling in asking for a printout of their account to send along with their taxes and receipts to prove they spent money using their HSA account. It has been over a year since the last time you had to generate these printouts for your patients, so you might have forgot.
I want to try and make it easy for you. Instead of printing an account ledger, which can be extremely confusing to patients and usually does not give the government what they want, I am going to show you two alternative options. You can also use the second option for patients who are looking for statements to report to their HSA accounts.
- The first option is if the patient does not need the year-end statement to have ADA codes. Open the Ledger > File > Search Payments. This will open a new window where you will select the parameters for your search (date range, guarantor name, payment types, etc.), then select Print.
- The second option is if you need a payment history that includes ADA codes (most HSA plans want the ADA codes included). First, go to the Office Manager > Maintenance > Practice Setup > Preferences and make sure the “use ADA codes in description” is checked. Next, from the Office Manager > Reports > Billing, we are going to create a customized billing statement as a year-end print out.
- Change the Statement Date to the end of the report year (12/31/2017) and the Beginning Balance Forward date to the beginning of the year (1/1/2017)
- Select the Guarantor family only
- Set the Minimum Balance to Bill to 0
- Uncheck all options
- Clear out the Statement Message
- Uncheck Save as Default
Don’t forget April 17th is tax deadline for filing your own taxes, UGH!